Over the past couple of weeks at the Hogar alot has happened, progresses have been made, and the daily roller coaster of challenges continues. Give me one day to journal about and I could write a novel. Here´s just a couple of things:
WILMERS FIRST DAY.
Our special needs boy Wilmer, 13 years old has stopped his one on one ¨schooling¨ with the volunteers and has now begun attending a school for special needs students in La Ceiba first time in his life! I am so happy that he is finally recieving the chance at an education for the first time in his life in an understanding and supportive environment that adheres to his needs with students he can relate to and connect with. With Sarah playing mom as she got out her camera out to take a picture of a very anxious and excited Wilmer, proud in his clean clothes (that´s a first), new sneakers and backpack more than ready for his first day I couldn´t help but be excited for the kid. Upon returning to the Hogar later that day I almost could have cried as Wilmer excitedly told me that he a great first day and how he´d made 2 new friends already...he also excitedly mentioned something about baleadas (tortillas and beans)but I didn´t quite get that, however seeing as eating usually seems to be the highlight of his days I wasn´t surprised. Although all of the volunteers are very proud of Wilmer I´ve been informed that apparently his attitude has changed a little. Never having attended school before this is a whole new world for Wilmer and something to brag about (and sure I´ll give it to him that he deserves something to brag about for once) but Rico Suave here is now got a little strut to his step and has let this positive step forward get the best of him in ego. Feeling a little too high apparently Wilmer feels the right to push the other children around more often than not. Sure we won´t take away his pride, but there sure as hell won´t be any less tolerance for his agressive behaviour. We can just hope that the eventual outcome of this special needs, structural education for Wilmer will be a very positive and beneficial experience, not only benefiting him directly but others as well through his interactions with everyone around him.
DISHES WITH GERSON.
Gerson is about 11 years old, therefore being the second oldest boy at the Hogar. I have found that Gerson is definitely harder to get through than the other children, but this is also expected since he is one of the older boys here, and not as clingy or affectionate as the other younger children. During the last couple weeks I have been slowly trying to weasel my way through to him, trying create more of a connection. Obviously we are all unique and different people in this world, and so therefore we connect with people in different ways and on different levels. Finding just the smallest thing in common, showing interest in someones passion, or even extending a simple kindness can mean the world to someone...it can be the path to reaching into someones heart and finding that little spark of connection from one person to another. Over the last couple weeks during morning recess I have been making more of an effort to engage in a game of soccer with the kids as apposed to crashing on the nearest volunteer bed after a busy morning of classes. I always enjoy a barefooted game with the kids, getting a little healthy competition on and working up a sweat. Something so simple as engaging in a game of soccer (a sport they are so passionate about) has abled me to connect with the kids just that little bit more. Sure playing with Gerson and the others has shown my interest in them and don´t get me wrong it´s a lot of fun, but the other day I really wanted to make a bit more of an effort with Gerson. After lunch as I was walking around the Hogar I found Gerson washing a load of dishes from 20 messy eaters and volunteers a like piled up in the outdoor sink. As soon as I saw him I realized this was my chance to extend a simple kindness that would mean a lot. Pulling up next to him and grabbing a scrubber we were soon washing away in half the time it would have normally taken him alone. Interested and curious I asked Gerson questions here and there about things he´s was interested and I could see a definite appreciation written on his face for the unexpected help, and a possible curiousity at getting to know me a little bit better as well. Small, simple, steps, one day at a time.
KINDER.
Things are going amazingly well on the Kinder front. I´ve carried on with teaching the Kindergarden through the transition of loosing Jordan and gaining a new and long term volunteer Bethany and then to loosing Bethany for a couple weeks while gaining Melissa. A lot of changes, and many positive benefits. After quickly showing Bethany the ropes she has been a wonderful and positive asset to not only the Kinder class but the Hogar as well. Bethany has great spanish and has encorporated so great changes into the classroom, creating a lot more structure which is something that these children really need. With Bethany leaving us for a couple weeks to take over the Second grade class we now have a new volunteer, Melissa who is getting right into the swing of things as well and presenting with with some great ideas aswell. It really is beautiful to see the positive changes these volunteers are making and how each and every one of them has something beautiful and different to offer during their time here whether it is short or long.
So when I say things are going amazing well with the Kinder, I mean every word of it. We have gone from hopelessly trying to shake a sleepy Santos out of bed every morning, trying to release the grip of a hypervenalating Carolina from her older sister, and chasing after two little monkeys running and hiding under beds before classes every morning to four little Kindergarden students anxiously waiting as they continuously knock on the volunteer room door calling us for school to start. You would not believe the progress, and that is only a snippet of changes. You can´t even begin to understand how very happy I am with these changes and how much room there is for potential here, we´ve really got to fly with it!
PHYSICAL BEAUTY.
After a couple months of the Hogar (well really after the first day) I was sick of looking at the dust collecting computers in the back corner of the dinning hall next to our makeshift (yet cute) Kinder classroom. Oh you know those computers, the ones next to the fake christmas tree and the duck taped leather coaches? Yeah. So with permission from the head tio and head tia I set about to make a small positive, physical change that I´d been eyeing for a while now. Luckily the Christmas tree was gone when I tackled this project...seriously who knows what was nesting in there and luckily I was on a cleaning rampage. After moving the computers to the storage room, throwingout some random collected garbage and rusty nails, oh and lets not forget finding a poop smeared shirt (that all the kids instantly claimed was theirs until I mentioned the fact it had poop on it) the corner was looking up. After wiping the tables down and realizing the painting potential, Bethany and I went to work the following two days by painting the three tables green, yellow and purple. A bit more cozy now for reading time during Kinder class or watching movies on rainy days and a more content feeling every time I walk into that room!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment